With the help of our Magento Update service, we relieve you of the update process, which is often complex and contains stumbling blocks. A Magento upgrade doesn’t consist of merely running an upgrade script, since usually fundamental changes come with a new version. This may even make some functions that are not factory integrated inoperable, even though they previously worked well.
The greater the version change between the most recent and the used version, the greater the chance that problems will arise that require intervention from the developer.
As for all complex systems new functions and basic CMS patches for Magento arrive in the form of version upgrades. It is always recommended to have them installed by an expert, and then thoroughly test them before the updated version goes live.
We often receive requests to upgrade Magento online stores implemented several years ago which:
- have codebases that have become obsolete (e.g. Magento CE v1.3, v1.4, v1.5, v1.6; in the 2nd half of 2015, Community Edition is at version v1.9.2);
- also have a huge amount of independent developments that were not developed by us and are not compatible with each other, and the earlier developer installed free or paid extensions into them;
- These custom developments are unfortunately, in most cases, inserted into the Magento Core, because this is the simplest and fastest solution, although completely contrary to the attitude of professional Magento developers. This is because the developments inserted into the Core are lost at version upgrade; the ecommerce store returns to the basic factory functionality, only the installed external extensions remain, and even these may have compatibility problems if the modules were updated long before the version upgrade.
Why is it always worth upgrading to the most recent Magento version?
- Security updates – In the case of an ecommerce interface this it is a highly important area for both the customers and the owner of the ecommerce store. The most recent patches always contain all security patches also issued individually since the latest version.
- New functions – Practically all versions bring in developments to increase conversion and facilitate administration , not to mention new payment and transportation methods propagating all over the world.
- Optimization advantages – Upgrades often include optimizations for the access speed of the product database or for the working of the administration interface.
- Evolution of the front-end – By upgrading, users can get access to the completely renewed responsive version of the factory template as well. In parallel with this, the factory newsletter template has also been optimized.
The process of a Magento upgrade:
- Firstly, a confidentiality agreement is made, and then we ask for the complete source of the live page and an actual (product) database backup.
- Our systems architects examine the ecommerce store from both the visitor’s and the administrator’s point of view. They assess the individual functionality and the installed external modules, look for unsuitable functions inserted in the Magento Core, and don’t forget the possible security vulnerabilities.
- In consideration of the detailed technical audit and the risks, we give a price offer for the version upgrade and for the organisation of functions inserted in the Core into external modules. If functions remain in the Magento Core, they will get lost during the upgrade. The upgrade of purchased external modules may also be needed, if they are in use. The offer will include the cost of the version upgrade as well.
- After concluding the contract, we get to work. Using our authorizations, we clone the actual live ecommerce store into our development environment, and we also integrate it with our revision control system. In this way, each change can be withdrawn if any error occurs during later developments and updates. This means that the live webpage can be used unchanged in the course of work.
- After the upgrade, a 3-person manual testing team will check the entire functionality and prepare an error list for our developers.
- The developers will carry out the organization of functions inserted into the Magento Core into external modules, and upgrade the external modules, if it is necessary in the new version.
- If necessary, the ecommerce store is involved in automated testing work, and in this way we can continuously control whether or not basic critical business functions (registration, putting product into basket, order placement, etc.) work properly.
- When everything is in order, we launch the upgraded Magento version free of errors at the storage location of the live webpage, at the agreed time.
- Even then, we will not leave you on your own. We will make a proposal offering our ongoing support packages.
If you have any question in relation to the Magento version upgrade, please contact us, and we will be ready to help.